If your experiments difficulties here are my advices :
- Do not attack other empires at the beginning of the game. You should attack only neutral countries (in gray on the map) until 1804. If an AI attacks you before 1804, it’s only because you attacked it first.
- Except japan (that is reserved for experimented players) all empires have the same power. But to win, each empire requires a specific strategy (focus on islands, conquer a region, dominate the sea by eliminating other players fleet, conquer quickly capitals …).
- You should start at the lowest level of difficulty, because :
- AI players will have to pay more for armies and ships. Consequently, they’ll have less armies and ships.
- Most of ‘smart’ algorithms are deactivated
- Only one AI at a time can attack you
- Take care of countries incomes. Some countries worth much more than others. Focusing on high value countries at the beginning will give you quickly much more armies and ships